Healthy smiles for life start with children’s dentistry in Burlington
There is probably nothing more valuable to you in the whole world than the wellbeing of your child. When you put your little one’s dental wellness and appearance in our hands, we take that responsibility seriously. The team at Mount Royal Dental partners with you in the fight against cavities, and in developing healthy dental habits early.
Here are just a few of the ways we approach children’s dentistry to keep young patients in the Burlington area smiling:
- Parental education – Whether you are a new parent or have cared for several children, you are bound to have questions. Besides, the field of dentistry is continually evolving, with new treatment options, materials, techniques, and preventive philosophies. We take time to share information and answer questions about your child’s dental care. You can count on hands-on demonstrations of brushing and flossing, and good advice to help your child enjoy oral wellness.
- Shadowing – We encourage you to bring your small child along to your own regular examination appointments. This is a great opportunity to familiarize the child with the sights, sounds, people, and positive atmosphere at Mount Royal Dental, before his or her first time in the chair.
- First visit – We recommend scheduling your child’s initial dental appointment right after the third birthday (sooner, if you have any concerns). You may choose to hold the little on your lap while we gently examine the mouth and gums. This visit is usually a brief cleaning and assessment. We may take x-rays as a baseline for monitoring oral development and to be sure adult teeth are ready to come in properly.
- Communication – From small tyke to teenager, your child is treated as a valued patient – someone we know by name and look forward to seeing. We speak directly to him or her, in age-appropriate terms, to explain procedures and answer questions.
- Prevention – You don’t want your child to have the discomfort of tooth decay, and neither do we. To avoid cavities, we recommend fluoride treatments and provide nutritional counseling. As your child grows, he or she may participate in sports. We can help to keep teeth and mouth safe with custom-fit sports mouth guards.
- Gentle care – Despite your best efforts and ours, dental problems may occur. We provide a broad range of restorative services using current techniques and technologies, to address those issues promptly, with little or no discomfort.
Your child deserves the best possible chance for a beautiful, healthy smile now and for years to come. Children’s dentistry at Mount Royal Dental in Burlington is the first step on the path to a lifetime of smiles. Call (905) 581-9912 to get started.
All you need to know about Pedodontist/ Pediatric Dentist - kids Dentistry by Dr. Sam GuptaWhat is the best age to bring a child to a dentist? Dr. Sam Gupta from Mount Royal Dental Burlington, ON explains how to prepare your child for his/her first visit to the Dentist.
The best way to train kids to visit the dentist is to bring them along with the parents when they turn 6 months. This way they watch the patents getting treated and realize that it doesn’t hurt.
It would be best to select a dental practice that is kids friendly and includes toys, games and colorful play areas.
When the kids turn 2 they can be introduced to polishing the teeth and cleaning them.
Reasons to bring kids before 2 years are black spots, pimples on the gums or any other areas of concern.
Making dental visits fun for kids with Dr. Sam GuptaDr. Sam Gupta explains how he treats his young patients with anxiety. Dr. Gupta mentioned that in his practice Mount Royal Dental they have laughing gas and many more tricks up their sleeves to help different patients of different age groups. Call Dr. Sam Gupta today to learn more
How do you like treating kids at your practice?
Treating children is an integral part of the practice and having two kids of our own makes us appreciate them better, but even before that, it was always fun. They bring liveliness to the office and they have simple issues and simple things.
It is great to see when we start educating them early and slowly over time you will feel that they have really got it. They now know the importance of brushing, flossing, and have cultivated good habits thanks to you and you feel good about it.
How do you treat children with anxiety?
Treating kids from the easy ones who don’t worry about going to the dentist to the ones that are really scared even though they have never had any work done, it is just the thought of it, the dentist looking at my teeth and trying to fix it is going to hurt a lot and it makes sense.
But nowadays dentistry has come a long way that, a lot of procedures can be done without pain, discomfort even if there is that anxiety. There are even tools to help you with anxiety like laughing gas and it works like wonders on kids.
We give laughing gas to kids who are really apprehensive and in 5-10 minutes they are the most corporative patients. So, we have a lot of tricks up our sleeves to help different patients, different age groups, with their anxiety and get them the treatment that they really need.
What advice do you have for parents with dental phobia?
The main advice is kids should not even know about it, that you are afraid of the dentist. If you truly believe in dentistry you know that it is a necessary part of our overall health.
But for some reason, I’m not able to easily get access to that care because of my anxiety about it. So, if I pass that on that to my child, let them know what I fear about, it’s not going to help them because they’ll comprehend differently, and they will think it is fearful to be there.
So, just keep it to yourself, you should talk to your dentist about it to see if they can help you to overcome those phobias that you have personally.
But in the meantime, just let the child know that this is a place that we go to get our teeth and gums taken care of. We get their teeth shined, polished, and if there are any sugar bugs the dentist takes care of them and we get a little treat at the end of the appointment. Make it fun for the kids and make it trust in.
Your child deserves the best possible chance for a beautiful, healthy smile now and for years to come. Children’s dentistry at Mount Royal Dental in Burlington is the first step on the path to a lifetime of smiles.
Call (905) 581-9912 to get started