Very few people have a perfect smile. There is always some aspect of your teeth that can be improved upon, including alignment issues, spacing issues, and straightening issues. Dental patients in Burlington, Ontario, have come to trust the Invisalign clear aligner treatment as offered by Dr. Sam Gupta and orthodontist Dr. Shakti Singh at Mount Royal Dental. Drs. Gupta and Singh pride themselves in being dentists that provides a solution that has helped so many people over the years. You may wonder what the difference is between Invisalign and traditional braces. Both can fix many of the same issues, but which is better? Let us take a look.
The Pros and Cons of Traditional Braces
The point of this article is not to diminish the value of traditional metal braces. There is a reason why braces have been considered such an important orthodontic choice for such a long time. Even today, with so many options available, braces still are widely used across the globe, but it is important to understand that there may be alternatives. Here are some of the pros and cons of metal braces.
- There are multiple types of braces you can choose from, including metal, lingual, and ceramic.
- Braces have customizable brackets and, for kids and teens, can use colourful rubber bands.
- Braces are incredibly adaptive. They can be utilized for just about any form of orthodontic correction that is needed.
- Braces are obvious. When you talk, eat, or take photos, there is no hiding that you are wearing braces.
- Brushing and flossing can be a challenge. It can be difficult to make sure you get all the small particles of food brushed away from around the many brackets and wires.
- With braces, you are going to have dietary limitations. You are out of luck if you like popcorn, gum, or hard candy, as these are big no-nos.
- With braces, you will have to see your dentist or orthodontist very regularly so that adjustments can be made and your progress followed.
- There is definite discomfort with braces. When you first get braces, you will feel some discomfort, and you will have to be wary of the metal brackets and wires as they can poke the inside of your mouth.
- Braces can break. A broken bracket from an accident will result in a trip to the orthodontist to fix it.
The Pros and Cons of Invisalign
If you are interested in learning more about Invisalign clear aligners before deciding if they are right for you. Invisalign is a proven and effective treatment for straightening and aligning teeth, that does not mean they are perfect. Let us now look at both the pros and cons of Invisalign.
- Invisalign is an alternative to invisible braces and does not require uncomfortable metal brackets, wires, or rubber bands.
- The clear aligners can be removed when you are ready to eat, meaning no dietary restrictions associated with the treatment.
- The clear aligners can be removed when you need to perform your daily oral hygiene brushing, flossing, and rinsing.
- Invisalign is an affordable alternative to traditional braces.
- The Invisalign treatment requires fewer visits to your dentist or orthodontist, making it a better treatment for those patients who do not have a lot of extra time to set aside.
- The clear aligners provide a more comfortable experience than braces as they are crafted to fit your teeth perfectly using comfortable dental-grade plastic.
Call our office for more information
- Invisalign requires dedication to making sure you wear them for the correct amount of time throughout your day and not take them out and forget about them.
- There is the possibility that you can lose the aligners since they are removable.
- Unable to treat all severe cases, although it is estimated that Invisalign can correct about 95% of the same dental issues traditional braces can fix.
If you are interested in learning more about Invisalign and are in the Burlington, ON area, please call Mount Royal Dental. To schedule an appointment, call (905) 581-9912 today!
Share this Article